Saturday, January 13, 2018

My BAD HIV Testing Experience (SPMC HACT) Davao

January 10, 2018.

It was on this date that I took my 4th HIV Screening Test . For the past 3 tests that I had, all resulted in "non-reactive (negative)" which is kind of reassuring. But because of my active lifestyle, I find it hard to be 'just at peace' with these three results. So I went to our good friendly neighborhood clinic, SPMC-HACT Office. But then things went downsouth for me during that time.

As usual I go inside and tell them: "Hey, can I test myself for HIV again? (non-verbatim, but still close)" A lady approached me (she was a nurse) and told me: "Tara punta tayo sa loob sandali." I was expecting that I would be tested because I was in a bit of a hurry that day (It was a weekday, and I just took off from work just to get tested).

She then started telling me:

"Dili na mi naga cater anang mag sigeg balik2x"
"Wala diay nimo ginapractice ang safe sex"
"Mao nay problema gahi kaayo mog mga ulo"
"Wala diay nimo ginafollow ang counselling sa imoha"

I was so shocked by her remarks that I sat there and froze staring at the nurse. She was new (I can tell because I've been there like 3 times). Out of irritation, I told her with conviction: "Ah, Miss, kanang naa diay sa batas or sa law na bawal mag balik2 ug pa test?" At which, she replied: "Ahhh wala man sa batas naka state sir, pero kanang dili man gud naga work among counselling sa imoha.. Sa lahi nalang ka na testing center, ayaw lang diri sa amoa".

She denied my request for testing. At this point, I was furious. How does she get to decide who should be and should not be tested (Take note, she was not the ? She should have appreciated people that are willing to be tested. She should praise or even accept people because that's the main purpose of testing. To know, as soon as possible, if someone has HIV or not, so as not to progress into AIDS.

I stood my ground. Because I knew my rights. I knew the law, and I know that she was 'out of her mind'. Shaking out of mixed emotions (anger and fear) towards this very rude nurse, I was about to record our conversations on my phone. It was at this point that I think she noticed the recording that she suddenly changed her decision and told me: "Sige sir, tara adto na ta diri para magkuha ug dugo"

Power tripping? Possibly. But I just let it go. The day ended with me being tested. Before leaving I really wanted to know what that nurse's name is, but I decided not to ask (so as not to make a commotion out of it). I know what she did was wrong. And I pity the other people who will go to the clinic and encounter that obnoxious lady.

My 4th test showed 'non-reactive'.

Before I end this post, I wanna tell the nurse, if you're reading this, please bear in mind that not all people who go for re-testing are people who practice immoral UNSAFE sex. There are also people who'd like to be tested even though they practice safe sex (like me). Yes call it paranoia or being crazy, but if this is the way to save my life against this disease (that killed millions of people), then I'd be glad to see your face every year!


P.S.

I did some research work and I found out her real name through the HACT website. Her name is: Lorraine D. Mata, RN

I have nothing against you ma'am, but I want people to be informed by you and what you did to me during my testing. You left me no choice. (Pictures below)





4 comments:

  1. ILANG DAYS PO MAKUHA ANG RESULT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I read your article.To get a HIV blood test is necessary,but You went to same clinic for 4x HIV testing? Sounds ridiculous.You should knew better than that,you have to take care yourself after 1 or 2 times testing.I dont blamed the nurse if she said something not good to you,she had a point.
    You can enjoyed sex anytime but you will suffer when things go wrong on STDs/HIV.
    You should always keep in mind take care your health especially when comes on sex.
    That's the problem though with multiple partners,that's why you aren't ease!
    Even in your 1st HIV test,the result was negative? This is could be luck & warning of your active lifestyle?

    ReplyDelete